Benefits to Riding in a Group
If you are a beginner rider and always doing the same routes and struggling in the same spots, riding with a group can help give some variety to your cycling.As a cyclist, whether recreational or competitive, riding with a group has a lot of benefits.
- You’ll Get Stronger: It’s almost a guarantee that many, if not most, of the riders in the group will be stronger, and you’ll have to push yourself out of your comfort zone leading to big improvements in your fitness.
- You’ll Learn More: Are you pushing too big of a gear? Not shifting in the right spots? Every group ride is full of helpful riders eager to share what they know.
- You’ll Feel More Confident: You never know what you’re capable of until you try. Riding with a group will help you quickly master many of the complexities of cycling and be a stronger, more confident rider over all.
- It’s fun and you meet people. You’ll probably make some pretty good friends on your group ride because you are with like-minded people that are looking for fun way to exercise and socialize.
- It is safer! Groups of riders are a lot more visible. Just make sure you are following the group leader and don’t run off the front by yourself. You might take a wrong turn and get lost!
The Freewheelers of Spartanburg has group rides posted on a weekly basis that offer rides for all skill levels. You will find that there are more rides available during the Spring and Summer months because riding in the dark isn’t for everyone.